The Briars: Your Next Great Ontario Resort Destination
The Briars is a heritage Ontario lakeside resort, a refuge of relaxation and genuine hospitality amidst acres of lush lawns, gardens and towering trees. The surrounding woodlands, rivers and Lake Simcoe shoreline provide habitat for a variety of wildlife, making it an icon of Ontario's Green Belt.
This very special property includes a championship Scottish woodlands golf course, a full spa and excellent recreation programming. The Briars is recognized for its historic and natural significance by the Ontario Heritage Foundation and the Arboretum at the University of Guelph.
The Briars' captivating marriage of traditional country inn warmth with extensive resort facilities provides such a sense of a private retreat that our guests consider us "Another World", just an hour from Toronto. Our unique and posh rural refuge features luxurious Lake Simcoe lodgings, a rich and distinguished history, scrumptious food, and action-packed adventures for every member of the family.
Steeped in local history, flora, and fauna, and nestled between the pristine waters of Lake Simcoe and Sibbald Point Provincial Park, The Briars is an affordable and delightful alternative to destinations farther north in the Muskoka region.
We invite you to visit the resort at any time of year, to relax and restore yourself, and rekindle your relationships with family and friends.
A Contemporary Ontario Resort with a Remarkable History
With a history that dates back to 1840, The Briars blends modern amenities and upscale rooms with Victorian Era charm. Explore its evolution as a private farm to first-class country retreat to today’s elegant resort with its mix of inn rooms, private cottages and lodges.
The Briars’ diverse history and its many secrets await discovery. From founder William Sibbald’s role in the Upper Canada Rebellion to the picturesque Peacock House – Ontario’s only octagonal-shaped peacock house – to the two-storey rubble stone Manor House and its Regency architecture.
Our four-star lakeside resort features something for everyone:
• A luxury spa. Pamper yourself in a tranquil setting, leave our zany world behind and unleash your inner Zen. Experience our elegant spa services and enter a world of total comfort and spiritual rejuvenation.
• Unique country dining. A mouth-watering gourmet menu featuring locally and organically grown meats, fruits, and vegetables, an impressive list of fine wines, ales, and spirits, as well as an abundance of succulent sweet treats. Casual or formal dining? The choice is yours.
• Recreational activities galore. From ice fishing competitions and cross-country skiing in the winter to kayaking and nature guided hikes in the summer, the action is nonstop year-round here.
Indoor and outdoor pools, a sauna and hot tub, boat rides, outdoor tennis, basketball, volleyball, and badminton, and a modern fitness gym are but a few of the activities you can enjoy.
• Nearby attractions. There’s no shortage of notable sights to see in and around The Briars. Take to the Lake Simcoe Scenic Trail, visit historic St. George’s Church, explore the Georgina and Eildon Hall Museums, or rent a transient slip at Jackson’s Point Harbour.
• An exceptional 18-hole golf course. Established in 1922, this traditional 71-par course features narrow, neatly manicured fairways lined with ancient trees, lush greens, and strategically placed bunkers. This walkable course is as challenging to play as it is beautiful to behold.
A Short Drive from Toronto and the GTA
The Briars is about a one-hour drive north of Toronto, the Greater Toronto Area, and Pearson International Airport, making it the ideal weekend getaway for those in the city looking for a resort in Ontario.
Are you ready to embark on the greatest Ontario resort vacation and adventure you and your family have ever had?
Read our Packages and Specials for more information. We look forward to having you join us!